EDINBURGH - Aircraft Medical (“the Company”) is pleased to announce that it has secured one of the largest Research & Development funding packages from the UK Departments of Health through the Health Technology Devices (HTD) programme. The endorsement represents a further key milestone in the Company’s continuing research and development activity.
The HTD funding scheme is aimed at research into innovative healthcare technologies and the development of new medical devices. The industry wide HTD programme will be supported initially with £12 million from the Department of Health and £1 million from the Scottish Government, giving a possible total of £13 million government support. With matched funding from industry, this gives a total programme size of £26 million, which will be invested across the sector. Funding will be available throughout the programme to support collaborative R&D projects involving industry, academia and the NHS.
Working with NHS Trusts, and at international locations, Aircraft Medical’s research will focus on the development of infection control and clinical governance technology. Aircraft Medical and its industry partners recently successfully completed an initial Department of Health co-funded project focussing on the development of video laryngoscope technology. In total, the combined projects are 51% funded by Aircraft Medical and its partners, with the remaining 49% funded by the Department of Health.
Peter Inglis, Head of research & Development at Aircraft Medical commented:“We are delighted to have received this endorsement and funding package from the Departments of Health, who have recognised that a significant health benefit can be made possible by our research. This announcement represents another key step in our long term research and development programme which continues to gather momentum.”